Portfolio - Dressage Ireland
This website features:
- Coded entirely in PHP to make the website more easily maintainable
- Dynamic/static design - much of the content drawn from a MySQL database
- A Google-friendly site structure to facilitate SEO
- Results of all registered combinations (since 2010) including a calculation of each horse’s points (PHP, MySQl)
- Integrated with databases of regional websites to display future show dates (PHP, MySQl)
This bespoke content management system features:
- A searchable/editable list of downgraded horses (PHP, MySQl)
- A searchable/editable list of online membership registrations (PHP, MySQl)
- A searchable/editable list of registered dressage judges (PHP, MySQl)
- A searchable/editable list of online entries for national competitions (PHP, MySQl)
- A system for producing various statistics such as numbers of member registrations, member registrations by member type, by region, by payment, the number of shows per member of each region and various judging statistics (PHP, MySQl, GD library)
This website started out as a simple HTML redesign of the original Dressage Ireland website and has quickly grown in complexity to incorporate the features listed above plus many more besides.
Quite a lot of websites at the moment are merely implementations of WordPress blogs with freely available (style) templates applied and with minor tweaks to make them “unique”, which use an entirely inappropriate navigation system and which are not fit for purpose – essentially they are overly complex “programs” which do only one thing - they display “posts”.
The Dressage Ireland website, on the other hand, is a collection of separate “programs” each of which performs an entirely different task from the others, tasks which are not possible with something like WordPress.
The system for calculating horse points is a clear and transparent system which is continuously updated and replaced an antiquated by-hand system whereby points were made available a maximum of twice per year.
The complexity of the site continues to grow as more features are added continuously.